Are you deeply and profoundly in love with you?
When we think about falling in love, we usually think about falling in love with another person. That human being who is going to be our partner and touch us deeply at the core of our very being. And it truly is magical when you think about it. The flirting, the anticipation, the curiosity, and the discovery. It’s absolutely one of the most amazing human experiences I can think of.
And… so is the experience of falling in love with you. Now, I don’t just mean liking yourself or thinking you’re ok enough. I mean, loving yourself so much that your heart swells with gratitude and appreciation for everything you are and everything you will be. Loving yourself down to the core of who you are, all of you, through to the depths of your soul.
Does this sound silly? Impossible? Am I just an idealist or a romantic? The answer is no, but I understand that you might not want to just take my word for it.
So, I have a challenge for you. I challenge you to consciously and intentionally set the intention over the next 30 days to fall in love with yourself. And I am giving you five of my most favorite tools for you to use.
Here they are…
1. Goddess Hour – This beautiful concept was created by Marianne Williamson and is meant to bring you back home to yourself, your feminine core, every single day. Commit spending a certain amount of time, I suggest at least 20 minutes, doing something specifically and solely for you. What you do is up to you and it will be based on three things:
1. Consciously tuning into how you’re feeling.
2. Consciously tuning into what you’re needing.
3. Consciously tuning into your desired feeling.
4. Choosing an activity that meets those needs and creates your desired feeling.
2. The Kissing Game – I learned about this fun little game in a book called, The Soul Mate Secret by Arielle Ford. Arielle suggests that as you make your way through each day, you secretly blow yourself a kiss every time you see your reflection. I’ve had a lot of fun with this and have taken it a step further. Each time you see your reflection and blow yourself a kiss, also give yourself a compliment. Maybe you hear yourself whistle and comment on how beautiful your hair is or maybe it’s a comment about how good those jeans make you look. Whatever it is, be playful with it and enjoy the feelings that arise from admiring and appreciating yourself.
3. Learn Something New – It’s easy to get stuck doing the same things over and over, and before you know it, you haven’t done anything new in months, maybe even years. Do you remember how amazing it feels to learn something new? The little rush of fear, which I choose to call excitement btw, the awkwardness when you start, the little bursts of joy that pop through each time you get a little better, and the feeling of satisfaction when you’ve mastered it. Learning something new not only increases joy, but will also give your confidence a boost too! I always think of children and how they are learning new things pretty much all day every day…no wonder they are such joyful creatures!
4. Mirror Work – I believe this powerful technique was brought forth through the amazing, Louise Hay. There are different techniques and ways to do this, but I’m going to share with you the way I love to do it. How often do you take the time to stare into your own eyes with curiosity and love? Most of us will probably say never and so, my question then becomes, How can someone else love you deeply if you cannot love yourself deeply? Create a practice of taking time every single day to look into the mirror and stare deeply into your eyes. When you begin this practice, 1 minute will seem like an eternity, so start there and then build up as you grow more comfortable with the process. Start with staring lovingly and then, begin adding words of love or phrases of affirmation. Be conscious of how you are feeling and what is being triggered while you do this. Are there stories playing out in your head or is your inner critic screaming at you? Be gentle and kind, meeting yourself with grace and unconditional love. When you’re done, take a moment to write down anything that came up and keep track of what shifts within you over time.
5. Will You Go Out With Me? – When was the last time you took yourself out on a date? Have you ever? My guess is that even if you have, you haven’t done it like this. The idea is to romance yourself with your dream idea of what you’d like from a significant other. This will look different for everyone; perhaps you begin with receiving beautiful flowers with a romantic note, buy yourself sexy lingerie to wear secretly under a beautiful dress, or maybe plan the most beautiful hike with a picnic along the way. Whatever you decide, go all out. Wake up in the morning with the excitement that you have date that day. Spend your day feeling that giddiness build and prepare yourself as if you are meeting the most special person in the world. Because, you are meeting the most special person in the world …YOU.
Now, the rest is up to you. If you're up for this challenge, I suggest you set aside time every single day to focus on these things. Create a plan for the next month, set up reminders, start thinking about your dates. Be “ALL IN” and see what happens. I mean, when you think about it, you really have nothing to lose!
With love and joy,